Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Maybe We Shouldn't Talk About It...

The Facts

The first and second rules are to not talk about it. We’re going to talk about it.




His Side

If you ask me what my favorite movie is, I cannot answer. It’s too hard to select just one. I can, however, give you a list of some of my favorites. And, as of now, I’d say I could give you a top 3 (It’s quickly getting to where I can’t even do that anymore). But, for now, my top three would be as follows (in no particular order):  “The Departed” (amazing cast, supremely quotable, funny, dramatic, action-packed), “Dumb and Dumber” (one of the best, most underrated comedies of all time and I can quote the whole thing), and “Fight Club”. I am well aware of the rules as listed in the movie, but I’m going to talk about it anyway.

Since “Fight Club” is one of my all time favorite films, Kristi wanted to indulge me and watch it. It’s longer than she might like, but she knows how much it means to me. So, she sat down to watch it with me. Somehow, through all the years since 1999 (when the film was released) and despite the popularity of the film, she had never heard any spoilers in reference to the big twist at the end. That is amazing to me. So, I was excited for her because there is nothing quite like the first time you watch “Fight Club” and that twist hits you full on. I found out, though, it may be a bit ruined for some people now because everyone has heard there is a big twist. Even if you don’t know what the twist is, expecting a twist makes it less effective than if you don’t have any expectations. I had a great first time because I didn’t have any expectations at all. I didn’t know there was going to be some kind of twist or anything so I was BLOWN AWAY when it hit. 

Apart from having one of the best executed twists in film history ("The Sixth Sense” is up there, too), it is also simply a great film on so many other levels. From the epic journey through the inner workings of the human body shown in the opening credits (provided by some great graphic artists and David Fincher’s vision), it draws you in and sets you up for a visceral, in-your-face experience. The acting is superb as well. Edward Norton nails it. Nobody can do the perfectly monotone, sarcastically witty, bleak and glum voiceovers like him. These voiceovers so perfectly capture the mood of the film and the protagonist’s outlook. Then, of course, there’s Brad Pitt’s portrayal of mayhem incarnate, Tyler Durden. He is electric in this performance. Did you know he’s only won one Oscar… AS A PRODUCER?! He’s never won an Oscar for his acting. I’m not the biggest fan of his, but the scene in “Fight Club” where he tries to convince the owner of the bar to let them continue to have their fight club in the basement… it’s stellar.

The best thing about the film is that you pick up on something new every time you watch it. That’s what I look for in a movie that might be a contender to make it on my “top films of all time” list. If I could watch the movie every day and still enjoy it on the 100th day as much as I did on the 1st day… that’s a contender. I would put “Fight Club” up as one of the best movies of all time and I would back it up to anyone who contested it. It’s not on the American Film Institute’s top 100 but it is number 10 (as rated by IMDB users) out of all the movies on IMDB. So yea… it’s pretty great.

It means a lot to me that Kristi was willing to not concern herself with run-time of the film and watch “Fight Club” with me because I like it so much. I’m going to have to talk with her about her time limit she’s imposed on movies, though, because movies are getting longer and, let’s face it, no movie worth watching is an hour and a half or shorter. “Buried” is close at 95 minutes and it’s great. You probably hadn’t heard of that film until now but, find it and see it. You’ll thank me. 

I’m also very glad that Kristi enjoyed the “Fight Club”. It’s always a treat for me when I successfully select a movie that she enjoys. The more I pick that she enjoys, the more willing she will be to have movie nights with me. So it’s a touch selfish, I guess.


Her Side

I recently did something that I’ve never considered doing before. In my book, it should be considered illegal… so I guess that makes me a law breaker of my own rules. I willingly sat down and watched a movie that exceeded the strict time limit I’ve imposed on movie watching experiences. I watched the 2 hour and 19 minute long (not that I was counting) thriller known as “Fight Club”. This is a movie that my husband has wanted me to watch with him from day one since it’s on his list of all-time favorites.

Let the record show that I suggested we have a movie night… he was shocked at my suggestion but quickly took me up on the offer before I came to my senses and snapped out of whatever trance I must have been under (which is clearly the only reason I would suggest such a thing, right?). I also feel the need to point out that I didn’t moan, groan, or hesitate when he suggested we watch “Fight Club”. I knew it far surpassed my time limit… why else would I be putting it off for so long?

The movie was nothing like what I expected, although I’m honestly not quite sure what I expected… but it certainly wasn’t what I saw. I didn’t hate the movie and might actually say I liked it. Although, by the end of the movie I was getting a bit restless as was indicated by the constant movement of my legs and shifting back and forth on the couch.

This experience was all about filling up my hubby’s love bank. I stepped outside of my comfort zone and did something with Nolan that is such a huge part of his life and is a true passion of his. I like making him happy, what can I say?

With that said, I’m still in shock that I actually sat through a movie that long… willingly. I think I need to go lie down and re-evaluate my life.

I’m kidding. Sort of.

1 comment: