Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Dig Deeper...

The Facts

3 weeks in. Still on week 2 of the program. oops

His Side

So… funny story… we didn't really stick to our work out plan. It's two weeks after we planned to start Insanity and we are done with the first week. We did 2 or 3 days of it that first week but wimped out. Kristi might blame herself but it wasn't just her. I had part in it, too. I wasn't exactly pushing us to work out or encouraging us to get out of bed in the morning to do that day's exercises.

So, after failing the first week, we decided to start over from week 1 this past week. We only took one day off. That was her birthday so it's acceptable. We did, however, skip the warmup part of the video a couple of days. It's not just a warmup, though. When Shaun T does a warmup, it's like a full on workout for most people… well, people like Kristi and me who aren't in outstanding shape. 

Even though we did most of the workouts last week, we didn't do them exactly as planned. Our plan is always to get up in the morning and do them. That only worked once last week. But, when we skip in the morning, we do them when I get home from work. Eventually, it would be best if we could actually do them in the morning but we'll get there (hopefully).

The good news from all this, though, is that I have seen results. No, I haven't gotten much stronger, lost inches off my waist, gotten a six-pack or anything like that. I have lost two pounds in the last two weeks but that's not what I'm talking about. When we first did an Insanity workout, I could barely walk for the next two days. Now, after an Insanity workout, I'm a little sore the next day but it's nothing debilitating. That, to me, is progress.

This might sound crazy, but I actually like doing Insanity. It is like torture while doing it, but the sense of accomplishment afterward is worth it. Also, I know that I'm improving my health and will hopefully look a little better for my lovely wife. That's always a plus!

Our (not so) intricate setup

Her Side

Getting up early has been a challenge (big surprise…). But, trying to walk after doing these intense, insane workouts is even worse! I feel as though I've aged 80 years (give or take a few) in reference to my mobility, or lack thereof. The first few days, I would grab onto something to steady myself as I would attempt to stand up; and walking was an almost impossible and very embarrassing feat. I found myself shuffling along the halls at work and trying to sneak around so no one could see how hard of a time I was having doing the simple task of walking... something I've been doing for way more than the majority of my life.

I have to admit, I had a moment of weakness within the first two weeks of starting the program. In fact, it was on day 3... the Pure Cardio day (dun dun dun.... cue the horror music). The loud, annoying, atrocious beeping noise that is commonly known as an alarm went off early that Wednesday morning and I had not slept well that night. It seemed as if I had only fallen asleep 5 minutes before the alarm sounded. Once I finally dragged myself out of bed and put my workout clothes on, I made my way to the garage where we do our workouts. The video started and Shaun T was trying to get us pumped up. It wasn't happening for me. I mean, I don't need anyone telling me to "dig deeper" (one of his motivational lines) and especially not at 6:30 in the morning. Nolan began the warm up and I just stood there staring at the computer screen with a disgusted, yet blank look on my face. I didn't budge for a few minutes and, in fact, I probably made some snide retorts to Shaun T's peppy encouragement to the tune of "No I won't dig deeper" or the ever so mean "shut up Shaun, you don't know me!" Finally Nolan paused the program and asked me what was wrong. I don't know if it was the lack of sleep or the fact that I could barely walk because I was so sore, but I proceeded to let the tears flow and express how I didn't think my body was up for "digging deeper" that morning. Nolan is such a great guy, because even though he wanted to continue, he took a moment to hug me and make sure I was really ok. He also probably questioned whether or not I was mentally stable (news flash, I totally wasn't... but at least I admit that, right?). Then he told me that we weren't going to go forward with the program that day because my well-being is more important to him than a workout. So, we went inside and spent the time we should have been working out by having some quality time with one another. 

Sometimes you just have to listen to what your body is telling you. Skipping a day within the first few of starting a program isn't what I had envisioned. I told myself at the beginning that we would push through no matter what; but, at the end of the day, missing a workout isn't the end of the world. So, week one was a little less intense than we originally planned, but we picked up on the repeat of week one. We still didn't work out every single day like we pledged to do, but I think we did a great job with the amount we were able to squeeze in. My hope is that this week and the weeks to come are that much better and we get stronger and stronger as we continue.

And, in case you're wondering... we still have yet to perfect the art of waking up early to work out. That snooze button is just way too easy to push. Whomever invented that button should be punished... I mean didn't they know people out there like me would take advantage of such a glorious thing?!

Now, we are officially in week 2 of the Insanity program... only 5 million more to go (or so it seems)! 

No comments:

Post a Comment